March Tea, The Dynamic Duo
I would love to say Spring is around the corner. And I totally would…
But. We got snow last week in Washington and winter is just arriving in many parts of the country.
I’m not complaining, I love snow! [and would like enough of it to have another Snowpocalypse]
In the event that spring sprouts up, and in honor of the First Day of Spring [Tuesday March 20, 2012], March Madness and St. Patrick’s Day, I’ve brewed a pot o’ gold that packs more ca$hmoney [read: nutrition] than you’d ever imagine.
This delightfully green drink will soothe your tummy after too much fun on St. Patty’s day or a really intense March Madness game. It will also get your immune system ready for spring and your adrenals feeling like a million bucks. Sound amazing? It is!
I could go on and on about Stinging Nettles, and I have, here. So rather than bore you with the details, here’s how you do it:
- In a one quart, air tight glass container, add one ounce of dry Stinging Nettle and 1/2 ounce of dry Spearmint. [It looks like A LOT of herb once it’s in your jar]
- Cover the herbs with boiling water and fill the container to the top.
- Tightly cap your container.
- Once you’re sure it is tightly capped, give it a shake to make sure sure the water penetrates all of the herb, and that you don’t need to add more water. If you have a lot of space left, add more water.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning you’ll need to strain your herbs out. You can do this using a strainer [duh] and cheese cloth. I don’t feel the need to use cheese cloth because a little bit of herba floating around in my tea doesn’t bother me.
- Press out as much liquid as you can out of the herb.
- If you don’t plan to drink all of it, be sure to refrigerate!
If you’re lucky enough to have fresh herbs on hand, the general conversion is 3:1 [fresh to dry]. You’ll likely need a much larger container.
The end product would be delightful over ice on a hot summer day, or added to your favorite green or black tea for a minty kick.
March is going to be a special month for me. I’ll be traveling to Ireland! What better way to get my body and my adrenals ready for the long journey than with my Nettles.
Nettles = Love.
Want more information?