There are a couple of things that really take me back to my childhood, one of them being the Beach Boys.
Specifically this jam:
Aruba, Jamaica oooh I wanna take ya,
Bermuda, Bahama, come on Pretty Mama,
Key Largo, Montego, baby why don’t we go
Ohh I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We’ll get there fast and then we’ll take it slow
That’s where we wanna go, way down in Kokomo
I wrote 90% of those lyrics from memory alone (thanks, Mom!).
Speaking of Kokomo, I bet 90% of you are on the Coconut Oil bandwagon. I, personally, love coconut oil. Not only does it add wonderful flavor to your food but it’s got a multitude of other purposes. Moisturizer? CHECK. Scalp treatment? Double CHECK. Delicious food item. yup, CHECK!
Here are my 5 favorite uses of coconut oil:
1. To cook with. This is the most obvious use, but also one of my favorites. Try your morning eggs or a veggie stir-fry with coconut oil. The nutty flavor of coconut adds another dimension to your dishes. Coconut Oil is full of medium chain triglycerides, which go straight to your liver to be used as energy vs being broken down and transported in your blood.
2. To moisturize and heal skin. Don’t believe me? Try it out! You’ll smell delicious and your skin will feel amazing.
3. To help keep minimize frizzy split ends. Rub a little bit of coconut oil between your palms and massage it into your ends. You can also use this as an all over hair treatment to deeply condition your hair and scalp. Shampooing the oil out can take some time, but the results are worth it.
4. As an ingredient in homemade sun screen. Coconut naturally has an SPF of 4 and when you mix it with other oils and non-nano Zinc Oxide you have a naturally safe and effective sunscreen. *Check back next week for a How-To on homemade sunscreen
5. As a super strong make up remover. Rub a dollop of coconut oil on your face, let it sit for a minute and remove with a warm wash cloth. This works well on waterproof mascara too.